Sunday, November 10, 2013

A banana

    Sometimes the overall generosity of the Haitians amazes me! After living in the United States for so long; I can see that the Haitians have very little comparatively. Yet sometimes they are willing to give you anything that they might have. Sometimes because they have so little; they are eagerly waiting to see if you will give them something. It is a cultural thing, Americans to them have much more money than they do.
    I work alongside the Haitians at CLS. I help with the English, and share Gods love to the children. All the Haitian teachers have welcomed me into their classrooms and have helped me adjust to teaching in a very different culture. One of my favorite teachers; speaks barely any English. I can use my little bit of Creole and hand motions to talk with her. But it brings us both great joy to overcome the language barrier and work alongside each other.
     I was in class one day, the children were eating breakfast together, and my fellow teacher took two bananas out of her bag and offered me one. In the US it would be a kind gesture; in Haiti it is so much more than that. Most Haitians live on around five US dollars a day. There is usually one person in the family that works and provides for the whole family. Yet she gave me a banana! I had come into a completely different culture, I had left my family not knowing who God would put by my side, and He led her to give me a banana. In that moment I knew that God was still watching out for me, that even in the simplest way He was showing me He loved me.
    It reminded me of the story in the Bible of the widow and her giving a few mites. She gave out of the little that she had. Such love. I could see how much she loved Jesus by what she did. And I pray that the Lord blesses her, and I'm thankful that He has blessed me with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment